Sunday, August 27, 2017

Day 26


Today was a day of several accomplishments. I've already forgotten the first two. I'm so goal-oriented I move on quickly, haha. The second two were that  made it to a meeting not just on time but early and I did so without a navigation program. Yep. The second accomplishment was that I got lost on the way home by missing one turn but I now know my way around well enough that I a) didn't panic or reach for my phone and b) enjoyed the new scenery as I made my way home. At one point I crossed a bridge over a freeway. I rarely see freeways. I think there is just the one. I stopped and realized I live in Europe.

That's right, I now live in Europe. I moved to Europe.

I stopped to let that sink in. It is easy to get lost in the daily struggles, tasks, achievements, goals, bummers, confusion and whatnot and forget to take a moment to stand back and look at the big picture. When I remember why I am experiencing the temporary discomfort of settling in to a new place then I am no longer a victim of misfortune. I made the decision - had a dream -- to go to graduate school and later, to do so in a country that was not America. Not even on the NA continent. Asia would be wonderful but I really cant stand the heat. Europe seemed just right. And now here I am. Thank you freeway overpass.

I also picked up a service commitment tonight at the meeting. I am now the literature person for the Saturday night speaker meeting, though I only spoke with the chair and lit persons after the meeting and must still be voted in at next Saturday's meeting. There weren't any takers for the position tonight but to me no dream can ever be called come true until after it happens. If someone else stands up for it next week I'm ready. I'm American. I fight. I win.

It took me moving abroad to re-appreciate AA again. It was on August 9th that I woke up and realized  had not had a hug in nine days. That scared me. I am convinced that the single most important thing that contributes to the well-being or illness of a mammal is social contact. And touch is even better. Hugs are the best. I aimed for seven per day back home. Single best thing one can do for their immune system. Beats fucking up two lives anyways, which is how I frame my getting into a romantic relationship - a thing I have managed to avoid for some years now. But I need my hugs. I hugged at work a lot, as just a way to say hello, if OK by the other person (like I asked).

Since I got to the meeting early I took twenty minutes to walk around. Saturday night in A'dam central there are a lot of people out. I got off the bike and got to amble for a bit, which I really enjoy. I see more at that pace. It has been warm out - for here that is in the 70s (like my wardrobe) but by golly it's humid and if you are from the US east coast may I reference the concept of relativity here. Compared to what I am accustomed to - this place is fucking humid. And it will rain every day. It may be three minutes or two hours, but it will happen. But gosh darn the flowers are sure purty. And they are just everywhere.

But here are some not-flowers...



 Cups for every mood. I need these.



I have to look up what an immigration doctor is.


That's right, express yourself. Ride on, mopeder.


That's a life-sized stuffed animal in there. I've quit eating meat.




No comments:

Post a Comment