Thursday, November 30, 2017

Intl Doc Film Fest A'dam

I think that is what IDFA stands for. Stand for something or you aill fall for anything, eh?
I saw six films in four visits. Gosh I heart film. I have a few dvds but its no fun on the laptop.

The first doc listed is relevant to my coursework. The Scandinavian countries come up a lot in discussions of well-functioing social benefits systems. So imagine my intrigue when I read the film's premise. Went with a classmate who it turns out is doing her term paper on Sweden's welfare system.

If you get a chance to see a film, anywhere about anything, do it for me.

As We're Told  Any story told through gigantic cardboard heads is good enough for me.

The Poetess  Boy this was something. I could not locate a banana (what a weird way to start a film description) during the walk from one cine to this one so halfway through this film I started seeing voices. There may have been a q & a afterward (as with many of the IDFA screenings, which was an unexpected treat!) but I lit out as soon as the credits rolled.

Rezo  This was paired with the big fat Swedes up top. Another unexpected gem. The filmmaker came out afterward and talked about the challenges of making a film about a family member. Rezo is his father, an illustrator, who did all the drawings for the film, I believe.

When You Look Away  Things were heating up in my class assignments book. I needed, desperately so, a metaphysical getaway. Research is so linear. Bring me back home to chaos, filmmonster. Dooooo it.

See You Tomorrow, God Willing!  This was adorable. Watch the trailer.

Roosenberg  Quiet and beautiful. An 18-minute short about the last of the aged nuns at a closing abbey in Belgium. I think my cousin was a nun for a while. She was also the president of the Beatles fan club in the late 60s. It's an honest segue.



UPDATE

And one I really want to see, though I'd like meet the players myself in Istanbul-

Kedi

1 comment:

  1. NUNS WHO GET TO JUDGE A PERSIMMON HARVEST?! SAY NO MORE!

    ReplyDelete